Friday, January 28, 2011

what miserable comforters!

As I'm reading through Job, I keep coming across some really interesting verses. One that really hit me today, with a bit of a chuckle was JOB 16:2. Eliphaz the Temanite is there with Job, talking to him, I assume, like a pastor or elder. Eliphaz is trying to comfort Job but Job is pretty much sick of it.

"I have heard many such things; miserable comforters are you all!"

For some reason this verse really struck me as, well, funny! I think it's because I've thought/said this many times.

I just thought this was kinda comical; makes Job seem more real. Does that make sense....? I can only imagine how it feels when someone who has everything, is trying to comfort you, who has NOTHING. And tell you it'll be ok, to trust God; He really knows what He's doing.

Job speaking....
JOB 16:4 I also could speak as you do, if your soul were in my soul's place. I could heap up words against you, and shake my head at you;
JOB 16:5 But I would strengthen you with my mouth, and the comfort of my lips would relieve your grief.

I'm no expert when it comes to reading the Bible and translating meanings but I do believe Job is saying that if he were to be the "comforter", he'd be a lot better job. This Eliphaz guy seems like he is basically telling Job that it's his fault that this all happened to him.

Anyways, I thought these few verses were kinda interesting and I thought I'd share. Have a great weekend everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment